BLUM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
BLUM Los Angeles is seeking a Part-Time Preparator to assist with the movement and installation of artworks. The ideal candidate has knowledge of art handling protocols and be able to take initiative, multitask, work well with others, and thrive in a dynamic environment.
As a Part-Time Preparator at BLUM Los Angeles, your responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Assist with the movement and installation of artworks throughout our gallery, viewing, and storage spaces
- Assist with organization and tracking of inventory in our warehouses
- Assist with receiving and releasing artworks and loading/off-loading trucks
- Assist with local collections and deliveries
- Prepare and properly pack artworks for transport and storage
- Prepare spaces for client viewings and photography including painting, patching, and artwork installation
- Keep viewing spaces and warehouses clean, safe, and client-ready
- Assist with special events and local offsite exhibitions and fairs
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Minimum 2 years of experience working for an art gallery, museum, or shipping company
- Knowledge and application of art handling best practices
- Must be a positive and supportive team player, able to address new challenges
- Ability to take initiative, multitask, and work graciously in a fast-paced environment
- Detail-oriented and extremely well organized
- Strong communication skills
- A proficient knowledge of fine art logistics including installation, packing, shipping, and storage
- The ability to safely lift 50 lbs, as well as the safe use of power tools, ladders, and warehouse equipment
- Clean driving record holding a current CA driver’s license
- Background in carpentry/construction preferred
- Experience operating warehouse equipment—forklifts, stackers, pallet jacks preferred
- Experience driving a box truck preferred
- Paid sick time accrued at a rate of 1 hour of sick time for every 30 hours worked. Employees may use up to 48 hours annually and accrue up to 72 hours
- Paid family leave
- Participation in a 401k retirement plan
- Staff discounts on gallery publications, merchandise, and select artworks
- Weekly Onsite Yoga on Thursdays
To apply please submit your resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or walk-ins, please.
This is a part-time position. The hourly rate range for this position is $28–$35 commensurate with experience. Only serious and qualified candidates will be considered. We will be following up with requests for interviews in the coming weeks in order to fill this position as soon as possible.
BLUM Tokyo seeks a full-time administrator with at least 2 to 4 years of working in the contemporary art space, preferably in a gallery setting. This role ensures that the gallery’s administration & registrar needs are met. The ideal candidate must have a professional Japanese written and spoken proficiency and be detail-oriented, have strong organizational, time management, and communication skills, and have proven experience to be part of an exciting, team-oriented environment.
As an Administrator at BLUM Tokyo, your responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Enter artworks in Artbase related to BLUM Tokyo and update the new inventory thread
- Oversee all incoming and outgoing BT related artworks, including resales ensuring the Los Angeles team is aware
- Maintain, enter, and update Artbase records for BT inventory
- Supervise artwork conservation, ensure safe care and handling of artworks alongside the Preparator, in coordination with the Los Angeles logistics team
- Oversee management and upkeep of the physical BT inventory, and off-site storage spaces
- Manage digital archive, general organization of COIN pertaining to BT images and documents
- Oversee, generate and implement artwork labels & signatures; update Artbase & COIN
- Manage and execute all in-house condition reports for incoming and outgoing BT artworks
- Update location field for in house artwork movement
- Track reserves, unresolved sales, and open consignments through Artbase
- Oversee and manage loans of Tokyo related artworks in coordination with the Los Angeles team
- Eventually oversee BT related consignments and maintain (consignment) calendar with comprehensive details including expiration and/or renewal dates; liaise with owners/directors to confirm consignment agreements, expirations, and renewals; confirm pricing details with all parties involved (other galleries/institutions)
- Initiate and manage certificates of insurance and all insurance pertaining to loans in Tokyo inventory
- Oversee and generate installation manuals in coordination with the Tokyo preparator and Los Angeles team; share and file appropriately
- Generate, track, and archive COAs into physical files and COIN in coordination with the Los Angeles team; prior to releasing COA to client or consigned gallery, if requested, confirm with Finance Coordinator that payment has cleared
- Monitor and report to owners/directors on all gallery artists’ auction activity specific to Japan
- Manage transit of incoming and outgoing artworks and other gallery related shipments
- Liaise with the Director of Logistics in regards to shipping plans
- Keep track of incoming and outgoing artwork shipments on the Global Logistics board on Monday.com
- Liaise between the Exhibitions team and artists liaisons to confirm and plan exhibition and fair timelines for upcoming exhibitions at the Tokyo gallery, offsite and fairs - this includes selection deadline, collection schedule, packing needs, shipments, photography, installation, deinstallation etc.
- Manage shipments and liaise closely with our brokers to ensure proper customs clearance, import and export procedures ensuring the Director of Logistics is aware
- Update and maintain artwork locations in Artbase (incoming/outgoing artworks) ensuring records are accurate and up-to-date
- File and organize hard copies of shipping documents into Artbase and Coin
- Organize and manage the gallery’s on-site inventory, the gallery collection(s), and off-site storage spaces
Exhibitions and Art Fairs:
- Generate and manage Tokyo exhibition checklists, pricelists, and sales/exhibition/art fair pdfs in coordination with the Los Angeles team
- Prepare the Japanese translated version of sales PDF’s in a timely manner considerate of circulation deadlines
- Ensure ‘Monday’ is actively updated in relation to BT exhibitions and art fairs
- Coordinate the close of the exhibitions and fairs specific to the Tokyo gallery and dispersal plan - this includes deinstallation schedule, repacking, return shipping and sold dispersals to clients.
- Confirm appropriate expenses with the Director of Finance and Director, Tokyo
General Administration / Reception:
- Greet clients and other gallery guests (walk-ins, appointments, etc.). Offer refreshments to clients.
- Maintain front-of-house appearances including exhibition materials at the front desk and guest sign-in book
- Handle all incoming phone, voicemail, and guest messages ensuring that all messages are notated and delivered to the appropriate parties
- Ensure the offices and kitchen are tidy and organized.
- Receive general vendors, part-time staff, security, and maintenance workers; communicate with gallery staff regarding arrivals with the assistance of front desk person
- Sort mail; arrange and accommodate general small incoming and outgoing shipments with the assistance of other staff members
- Oversee and monitor security camera feed throughout the day.
- Conduct routine administration and upkeep of general email inbox; dispatch messages to the appropriate staff member and sort out sales inquiries with the assistance of part time staff or interns
- Help maintain gallery organization, filing documents, and general paperwork
- Input and update all contacts/business cards/phone inquiries/vendors into the database
- Maintain new additions to email distribution/mailing lists using the sign-in book at reception
- Monitor and order general office supplies & snacks.
- Coordinate flower orders for gallery public and personnel workspaces
- Add all birthdays, deadlines, staff travel, and vacation dates to the main calendar
- Take notes during staff meetings and send out meeting minutes each week
- Manage and oversee gift-giving including artist birthday gifts, holiday gifts, and gallery mailings
- Assist with placing dinner reservations in Tokyo and Japan
- Arrange and assist sending out packages for the Principals, Partner, directors
Travel and Accommodations:
- Arrange travel and accommodations for gallery staff/artists/guests
- Deliver travel itineraries, including all confirmations and appointments, as well as offsite events and points of interest
- Update and maintain Tokyo ‘travel guide’ (hotels, restaurants, bars, museums, cultural hot-spots, etc.)
- Arrange travel and accommodations for the Principal and Partner, directors
- Create and update QR codes for each exhibition and presentation with the assistance of other staff member
- Coordinate lunches for installation crew in advance of exhibition turnover if needed
- Update voicemail at the close and opening of each exhibition with the assistance of other staff member
- Manage necessary signage and front-of-house closure procedures during install with the assistance of other staff member
- Process in-store book sales & manage bookstore inventory with the assistance of other staff member
- Assist the Archivist and Research Assistant with wholesale orders and large book shipments
- Organize, plan, run, oversee and promote special events and all private dinners for the gallery's clients, artists, and art world professionals whether local, out-of-town, or abroad.
- Oversee staffing of all vendors including caterers, bartenders, servers, florists, security, lighting, sound/music, and cleaning crew, etc. with the assistance of other staff member
- Knowledge of FileMaker Pro / Artbase is preferred.
- Self motivated, trustworthy and responsible
- Candidate must be extremely organized, detail oriented and possess exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Exceptional written and verbal language skills in English and Japanese.
- Multitasking is expected, and basic and complex tasks should be attended to with equal diligence and attention
- Ideal candidate is open-minded and able to work well in a fast paced, high-pressure environment, as well as independently and efficiently on their own
- Prior experience interning or working in a contemporary art gallery, museum, or artist’s studio is preferred
- Strong professional ethics, discretion, confidentiality, and sound judgment
- Reliable transportation and insurable driving record
To apply please submit your bilingual Japanese & English language resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references to email@example.com. No phone calls or walk-ins, please.
This is a full-time position, 5 days per week. The daily schedule is from 10:30 - 18:30 with a 45 minute break. Employees sometimes need to catch up earlier due to the time difference and other times stay up later for some overtime events. The first six months in this position are considered a probationary period. The employee will undergo a performance review to determine that employment can be extended to salaried employment. The hourly rate for this period is 1,846 - 2,228. Only serious and qualified candidates will be considered. We will be following up with requests for interviews in the coming weeks in order to fill this position as soon as possible.